An advocate and solicitor in Malaysia, with 20 years of corporate and commercial exposure in foreign investments, acquisitions and disposals of real properties, companies and businesses, mergers, joint ventures, corporate finance and securities related transactions, incorporation of joint venture companies and attending to shareholders’ buy-sell arrangements of private companies.
Commenced practice in the area of banking and general litigation practice and shifted the focus on estate planning as new niche of the practice.
A graduate of National University of Malaysia admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2001. Analytical, versatile, committed, detailed oriented, able to work independently, strong work ethic and problem solver who excels in challenging fast-paced environments.
October 2017 to present
Partner Advocates and Solicitors, High Court of Malaya Peguam Syarie for Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya & Labuan
Rahayu Partnership has diversify into Private Clients Practice with Azlin Nordinar as the lead. Being a dual qualified civil advocates and solicitors in the high court of Malaya and a syariah practicing advocate in the Federal Territories of Malaysia gives extra advantage especially when dealing with private clients practices. Most dealings are with solicitors from United Kingdom, Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, Germany and others. Due to the increased awareness in wealth planning and wills-writing amongst individual clients, this practice group provides ultra high net worth individual clients with value-added services in relation to wealth & estate planning. For privacy and confidentiality purposes these ultra high net worth individual clients and public figures are notably keen and concern to plan for their wealth should anything happens to their business and legacy. When the whole world is hit by this Covid-19 pandemic, we at RP have reached out to most frontliners we know to offer our services to ensure their families are safeguarded and protected financially.
Under Azlin’s lead, the firm is also seated amongst the panel of solicitors for several trustee companies namely as-Salihin Trustee Berhad and Rockwills Trustee Berhad. Azlin together with her learned partner, Puan Rahayu also advises commercial banks namely Exim Bank Malaysia and Malaysia Debt-Ventures Berhad for matters related to maritime and admiralty.
April 2008 to July 2017
Senior Associates & Syariah Legal Counsel
A member of the Inheritance & Successions Practice Department and presently specializes in the management of assets and estates for Muslims and non-Muslims. Assigned to take charge legal works on all facets and phases from initial intake to conclusion of the cases. Involved in advising clients on legal risks and operational risks for businesses, real property managements and preparing agreements to safeguard the positions and interests of the clients.
- Assigned to take charge and supervise a team of 1 Partner and 1 Senior Associates in acting as Syariah and Civil counsel for major trustee companies in relation to its clients’ estate planning, administration, disposal and/or distribution (whichever is applicable).
- Assigned to take charge and supervise a team of 1 Partner and 1 Senior Associates in acting as Syariah and Civil counsel for individuals and high net worth clientele in relation to their asset wealth management, estate planning, estate administration, disposal and/or distribution (whichever is applicable).
- Assisted in the successful negotiation of the will being challenged in court and saved client potential risks and exposures exceeding Ringgit Malaysia Ten Million (RM10, 000,000).
- Part of a team of 1 Partner and Senior Associate which advised, handled, prepared, negotiated and drafted the Public – Private Partnership Agreement in respect of University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) – Centre for image Guided and Minimally Invasive Therapy (CIGMIT) involving capital costs of Ringgit Sixty Million (RM60,000,000).
- Part of a team of 1 Partner and Senior Associate which advised Amway Foundation on Foundation Rules and Regulations and on the preparation of Trust Deed and Resolution of Founding Committee for the establishment of Amway Foundation.
- Entrusted and independently handled the sale and purchase of all bungalows sold by Felda Properties Sdn Bhd to Felda Settlers in the Felda of Raja Muhammad Alias Serting, Negeri Sembilan and Feldajaya Trolak, Perak valued approximately at Ringgit Malaysia Twenty Five Million (RM25,000,000).
- Entrusted, advised and handled general corporate and commercial issues for the joint ventures and shareholders arrangement of private companies, particularly Great Vision Wealth Advisory and Great Eastern Life Assurance (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Assigned to manage fund management, treasury, and wealth management division of the group of companies for the client. Involved generally in advising the business unit on licensing risks and drafting agreements entered into with various business partners of the clients.
- Advised clients with regard to estate and charitable gift planning. This includes preparation of wills, power of attorney, beneficiary designations, trusts, gifts, deeds, partnership and estate tax returns and business succession planning. Advised and represented high profile clients in complex and complicated estate administration.
- Advised clients on estate and tax planning. This includes filing of necessary probate documents, estate and tax returns, tax planning techniques.
- Admitted as a Peguam Syarie for Syariah Courts in Wilayah-Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan on 21st June 2012. Entrusted to prepare estate planning instruments including wasiat & hibah amanah documentation for Muslim clients and represented them to obtain faraid certificates, certification of wills and claim for harta sepencarian.
- Advised and represented executors and beneficiary clients in estate litigations matters. Independently handled estate administrations, execution of business succession planning and numerous successful negotiations for the settlement of claims.
- Advised client on compliance with federal tax law, regulations and rulings of Inland Revenue Board, as well as tax law regarding non-profit organisations.
November 2006 to March 2008
Supported a small practice in Muar, rendered advice and represented clients in various commercial and civil disputes.
- Advised and represented financial institutions in debt recovery actions from inception to resolutions. Rendered advice on legal risks and operational risks for financial institutions.
- Advised and represented clients in landlord and tenant disputes and personally handled and litigated all civil matter from inception to resolution.
- Advised and represented clients in various employment litigation matters, including Labour Court and industrial Court matters against former employees on grounds of unfair dismissal and breach of fiduciary duties.
May 2005 to October 2006
Part of a team of three (3) partners’ dynamic legal practice focused to render advice and provide solutions and opportunities in line with the needs of the clients.
- Entrusted to advise, manage and handle major housing development projects for property developers like Glomac Sutera Sdn Bhd in Kota Tinggi and Syarikat Perumahan Negara Berhad in Johor Bahru. Represented, advised and attended to clients in the preparation, signing and execution of the purchase and sale agreements, tenancy agreements and agreements for financing facilities.
- Ventured into and handled complex litigation matters independently. Advised and represented client in commercial disputes and rendered advice for its operational and legal risks.
- Advised and represented property developer to resist and challenge compulsory land acquisitions undertaken by the state authorities and or state bodies. Participated and assisted in the negotiation settlements.
March 2001 to April 2005
Supported a diverse legal practice and assigned to take charge of all legal works and assisted senior partner handling general litigation from initial intake to conclusion of cases. Analyzed legal claims and litigation, formulated legal strategies, set and managed expectations of clients. Entrusted to advise clients, review documents, draft court documents, attend to hearings and trials in Courts, negotiate and draft settlements with the aim to avoid costs of litigation and to mitigate any potential liability for the clients.
- Involved in advising financial institutions on legal risk in the banking operations and the necessary steps for prudent management of the risks, with particular emphasis on defending the institutions against commercial disputes, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of statutory provisions, civil fraud and misrepresentations, negligent misstatement and libel.
- Represented financial institutions particularly RHB Bank Berhad and AmBank Malaysia Berhad and corporations like Courts Mammoth in debt recovery actions from summons, enforce judgments and foreclosure action.
- Advised and represented property developers like Seri Alam Properties Sdn Bhd and Mayland projects in Johor along Jalan Masai Jaya, Plentong in purchase and sale of land disputes. Developed legal strategies and rendered advise on the legal risks and operational risk for the client.
May 2000 to February 2001
Received early exposure to conveyancing practice and commercial practice. Assisted in due diligence exercises, drafting of agreements for purchase and sale of real properties. Exposed and assisted in less complex litigation matters. Completed nine (9) months of pupillage and called to the Malaysian Bar on 10 March 2001.
21 June 2012
Peguam Syarie for Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan.
10 March 2001
Advocate & Solicitors of the High Court of Malaya
1996 - 2000
Bachelor of Law, Hons National University of Malaysia, Bangi Selangor Second Class Upper
1998 - 2000
Diploma Pentadbiran Kehakiman & Guaman Islam National University of Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor Second Class Upper
1994 - 1996
Law Matriculation Centre National University of Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor
1989 - 1993
Secondary Education Sekolah Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah, Pekan, Pahang
8 July 2021
Attended MSI Global’s Virtual Asia Pacific Regional Conference 2021
25 & 26 June 2021
Invited and participated to the Asia Family Enterprise Excellence Conference (AFEEC) 2021 organised by the Premier Family Business Consulting, Inc.
24 October 2020
Schedule to attend the MSI Global Alliance Internatioal Conference in Sydney, Australia. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the organizers have converted the conference into a virtual international conference which will be confirmed and conducted later this October 2020.
24 September 2020
Governance and Succession for Single Family Office (Webinar Series).
23 September 2020
Governance and Succession focusing on Malaysia and Thailand (Webinar Series).
19 May 2020
Participated in MSI Global South East Asia Local Members’ virtual meeting to update and to relay to members the current situation in each country especially from the legal and economic perspective.
14 May 2020
Private Clients and Estate Planning Legal Expert virtual meeting in exchange to the physical meeting that is supposed to be held in Bucharest, Romania on 15th of May 2020.
22 November 2019
Participated in a conference organized by Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners(STEP) for Special Interest Group Spotlight Sessions 2019 held in Hilton Bankside, London.
24 October 2019
Participated in a conference organized by Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP) for Mental Capacity Special Interest Group held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7 December 2018
Participated in a conference organized by Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners(STEP) for Special Interest Group Spotlight Sessions 2018 held in Hilton Bankside, London.
13 July 2018
Participated in a conference organised by Labuan International Business and Financial Centre, Malaysia (Labuan IBFC) Masterclass on Family Business Succession: A Technical Guide on the Use of a Private Foundations held in Hilton Singapore.
26-27 April 2018
Part of the legal team from the firm, Rahayu Partnership, to Manama, Bahrain to introduce and present Labuan IBFC to potential investors in Bahrain.
25 April 2018
Attended Intergenerational Wealth Management and Legacy Planning: Challenges and Solutions organized by Labuan IBFC held in Conrad, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee
Persatuan Peguam Syarie Malaysia (PGSM)
Alumni Law National University of Malaysia
Best student for academic excellence for Semester 1 1994/95 session (CGPA 3.90).
Best student for academic excellence for Semester 2 1994/95 session (CGPA 3.90).
Best student for academic excellence for the 1995/96 session (Arabic).
Active participant of Putrajaya Night Run for year 2009, 2010 and 2011 and any other run organised by other organisation.
Suite A-17-17, Menara UOA Bangsar
5 Jalan Bangsar Utama 1, Bangsar
59000 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
+603 2287 2322